2011年1月10日 星期一

I don’t want it either! (Hilarious errors)

  
Ever since I started teaching English at this night school, I've been once in a while frustrated, meanwhile, sadly a little, amused by how terrible my students' Chinese is. 

I mean, how could I expect them to learn English, a foreign language they encounter only an hour or so per week, when they even can't learn to use their native language right?

One thing that's killing me is to read their weekly journal, which is a common practice in Taiwan's high school. My eyes are often "strained" from strenuously recognizing their scribbles. Not to mention those wrong characters.

One of the most hilarious errors happened shortly after I started this night school when a student wrote in his weekly journal that they were reminded not to quarrel with their teachers when disciplined. He put it as "We were told not to "口交" with teachers in class."

"What?" I almost fell from the chair. I would have yelled at him for disrespect had I not known how full-of-error their writing could be. “I don’t want it, either!” I screamed in my mind.

What he really meant was "Never have '口角' with your teacher in class." This horny adolescent might have read or seen something he shouldn't have right before he scribbled his assignment.

Here comes my point. Attention, guys and gals! Don't you make such a stupid error like this young man did! Or you might get into very big troubles.

口角 (kou3 jiao3): quarrel; argue; dispute
口交 (kou3 jiao): oral sex
Example:

在和老婆一陣激烈口角後,他奪門而出。
He stormed out of the door after a fierce quarrel with his wife.

沒有留言:

張貼留言