2011年1月12日 星期三

What I won’t say in class (Homophone)

Surrounded by those horny teenagers, I have to be very cautious with what I say in class. As I told you, there’re so many homophones in Chinese and you don’t want to make yourself a pervert by using some of them without caution.

For example, when speaking of self-defense, instead of自衛 ( z4 wei4), I’ll say 我防, because the former sounds exactly the same with自慰 ( z4 wei4), meaning masturbating. Another one is 受驚 (sh4 jing), getting startled, which is a homophone of受精 (sh4 jing), impregnation as well as授精 (sh4 jing), insemination. I might use instead.

In China, when asking people about their occupation, they might say, “哪一行?” (What do you do?) They use (gan4 huo2) as we use 工作 (gong zuo4), to work. 的好 (gan2 d hao3) means “good job.” But in class I will try to avoid the word , because it means “fuck” in Taiwanese. You’ll have a classroom full of roars of laughter and turmoil if you keep using these terms.

As a result, I’ll never use the term (neng2 gan4) to compliment a capable student. If you know whatmeans, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

自衛 ( z4 wei4): self-defense 
自卫 (Simplified)

自慰 ( z4 wei4): masturbate

受驚 (sh4 jing): startled
受惊 (Simplified)

受精 (sh4 jing): impregnation

授精 (sh4 jing): insemination.

幹活 (gan4 huo2): work
干活 (Simplified)

幹的好 (gan2 d hao3): good job
干的好 (Simplified)

能幹 (neng2 gan4): capable
能干 (Simplified)

(neng2): able; capable
 

沒有留言:

張貼留言